Play Keno Online in Australian Online Casinos 2024
Keno is a lottery-style game avidly played in old brick-and-mortar casinos. The physical tickets and number call is transformed into digital tickets and RNG draws when you play keno online. The tips and rules to learn keno are simple, and the idea is to bet on numbers from 1 to 80. Multiple online casinos offer keno with the best odds, and our team conducts thorough research on these keno sites to prepare our recommended list for Australian players.
About Keno Online
Keno online is similar to bingo and originated in China in the 19th century. Players can choose up to 20 numbers from the keno card or a bubble with 80 numbers and place their stakes on their chosen numbers, also called spots. Players usually stake on around 4-9 keno spots, for example, if the player chooses 4 numbers, it is considered to be a 4-spot entry.
Keno is popular even though it doesn’t offer great odds to the player. A round is concluded every 10 minutes, and the payouts are decided according to the matched numbers in the draw. Matching up to 10 numbers can get you a keno jackpot. Some keno variants also include 40 keno numbers instead of 80.
Keno casino games are simple, and there is not much skill required to play it. You can find multiple keno variants in Australian online casinos apart from the classic keno from providers like Microgaming, NetEnt and others. There is video keno that is played like a slot, and some video keno variants even have bonus games.
The results in video keno are generated through RNG, while some video keno games use bonus balls for drawing numbers.
You can also play live keno games, just as in land-based keno, where you can make different bets on a single keno card. It could be heads/tails (top and bottom 40 numbers in the draw), even/odd numbers, etc. You can also win progressive jackpots in live keno.
How to Play Keno Online?
The steps to playing keno online including classic keno games are listed below:
Choose an Aussie-Friendly CasinoPick a casino that accepts Aussies
Navigate to Keno GameNavigate to the keno game you wish to play
Pick Your Lucky NumbersPick the numbers from the ticket; you can pick up to 20 numbers. You can also choose ‘quick pick’ to randomly select numbers
Set Your Bet AmountDecide on your bet amount per round ranging from AU$1- $100. Your payouts will be higher if you get matching numbers and select a high stake per draw
Choose Number of RoundsSelect the number of rounds you wish to play. Your total stake will be your stake per round multiplied by the number of rounds you choose to play
Wait for Draw and PayoutsAfter the bets close, the winners are announced with the draw through RNG or balls. The matching numbers get struck as the draw continues. The payouts are decided according to the total numbers that match at the end of the draw
Online Keno Rules
Playing real money keno comes with its set of rules. Here are a few rules that our Australian players should know before starting a game:
- Each card has 80 numbers, and players can choose a maximum of 20 numbers.
- The bets can be made on specific numbers or number combinations. Players can choose a stake per draw, and the payouts are decided accordingly.
- Players can also bet on bonus numbers, also named Booster or Bull’s eye. The bet amount on booster numbers is more than regular numbers.
- The payout is decided by matching numbers.
- Some keno variants include 40 numbers, of which players can choose up to 10.
- Power keno can payout up to 4 times more than regular keno games.
Tips for Playing Online Keno in Australia
Though keno online is simple, there are still some tricks and strategies one can use to have a better chance of winning.
- Know the Odds: Players should understand the odds of matching 1, 2 and so on up to 20 numbers. Even though the odds are not favourable in the keno game, knowing the odds will help you make the right selections and bet. Here are the odds of matching displayed with the help of a table.
|Number of Matches
|1 in 843.380
|1 in 86.446
|1 in 20.115
|1 in 8.009
|1 in 4.877
|1 in 4.287
|1 in 5.258
|1 in 8.826
|1 in 20.055
|1 in 61.420
|1 in 253.801
|1 in 1,423.822
|1 in 10,968.701
|1 in 118,084.920
|1 in 1,821,881.628
|1 in 41,751,453.986
|1 in 1,496,372,110.872
|1 in 90,624,035,964.712
|1 in 10,512,388,171,906.553
|1 in 2,946,096,785,176,811.500
|1 in 3,535,316,142,212,173,800.000
- Pick between 4-8 numbers: Looking at the table above, you will see that the optimal selection with the highest probability of payouts is betting on 4-8 numbers. Your winning chances drop if you choose outside this range.
- Don’t look for an edge: Online casino keno naturally has a high house edge game, and there is nothing much that can be done to change it. Do not look for any strategies to lower the house edge since that will be a waste of time.
- Check the game’s payouts: Knowing the expected payouts of the keno games before picking it to play will keep you better informed and let you have a better chance at winning.
- Hot or cold numbers: Although there is no specific strategy behind this, but hot and cold betting is a system of betting you can use to make keno bets. Hot numbers are the ones that are drawn the most, and you can pick these in anticipation that they will be picked again. Cold numbers are the ones that are not drawn at all in the last 15-20 rounds, and you can pick them in the hope that these are bound to come at some point.
- Do not miss a bonus: Playing keno at an online casino means you can also take advantage of the bonus features offered. You should review the bonus conditions in detail before picking an offer. You can check out wagering requirements, bonus validity, and bet limits.
How We Rate Our Online Keno Casinos?
We prepare a list of casinos recommended for online keno after analysing them on several parameters. It is to ensure that our players have a safe and sound experience picking a site from our list of casinos. Below mentioned is the review criteria we use:
- Security: We check whether the casino is licensed by a top gambling regulatory body. We recommend online casino keno duly licensed by authorities such as Gambling Commission, Malta Gaming Authority, Curacao eGaming, etc., and they monitor the casino’s day-to-day operations related to advertising and other social gambling regulations.
- Data Safety: We review if the casino uses advanced firewalls and SSL encryptions to protect against the leakage of confidential information that players share with the casino site.
- Navigation and Login: No one would like a tediously long registration and login procedure, the Australian casinos we pick offer almost instant keno online login. We also review how convenient it is to navigate to your preferred game and how responsive the site controls are.
- Bonuses and promotions: In this age of competition, many casinos offer numerous bonuses to compete and get more and more customers. We recommend casinos that offer excellent welcome packages, deposit offers, cashback and reload offers and tournaments with massive prize pools.
- Payment Options: We understand not finding a payment option of your choice is frustrating, so we pick keno sites that offer the latest e-wallets accepted in Australia, e-vouchers, cryptocurrencies and regular bank transfer options.
- Support: The customer support system largely defines how much the casino operator cares for its customers. We check the average response time and try to pick casinos that offer prompt multilingual support 24*7.
- Game Variety: All casinos we pick for our players have a fantastic variety of games, including multiple online keno Australia variants, themed slots, and computerised table games to live casino games and live game shows.
Basics of Online Keno Game
Keno casino games might have different variants depending on where you play them. But the basic rules of playing online keno remain the same. The two main terminologies related to playing keno online game are:
- The Keno Card: The keno ticket given to players from where they pick the numbers. It is similar to the keno board, which has numbers written on it.
- Paytable: All online keno games do not have the same paytable. A paytable shows the amount players will win depending on the numbers that match.
An online keno game is simple and easy to understand for beginners. Modern keno games are made with great graphics and audio to alert the players for the game events. Colour codes are used to identify the selected numbers, matched numbers, and so on. The keno paytable is self-explanatory and easy to comprehend, even for beginners.
The possible wins from a keno game can be huge, particularly with games that carry a progressive jackpot.
How to Register to Play Online Keno
After shortlisting a casino to play, players must first register on the site to start playing online keno. Some sites might not require registration for playing demo keno, but for playing real money keno, signing up is a must. The best part is you can also access welcome bonuses and other promotions after registration. Here are the steps you would follow:
Access Casino WebsiteOpen the casino website or mobile site
Click on ‘Register’ or ‘Sign UpClick on the ‘Register’ or ‘Sign up’ button on the top right of the homepage
Enter Your DetailsEnter the details, such as your mobile number, email, name, address, and currency preference, and accept the casino terms and conditions
Verify Your AccountA verification link is sent by email, or an OTP is sent to your mobile number, which you will have to add to authenticate your account
Start Playing Keno OnlineOnce the account is confirmed, you can navigate to the games lobby to pick your keno game, make your first deposit and start gaming
Play Real Money Keno on Mobile
Since modern-day casino games are created in HTML5, these are highly optimised, and you can play real money keno comfortably on the small screens of mobiles and tabs. It means you can access your games from anywhere and anytime and start betting wherever you are.
You can play online keno through the mobile browser or dedicated apps for Android and Apple phones. Mobile keno provides a similar experience to playing keno online on the web browser.
Online Keno Glossary
- Aggregate Limit – The limit to the total payout in a single keno round. Players cannot win more than the aggregate limit from a keno round.
- Bankroll – It is the amount of money a player decides to spend on the keno game.
- Caller – When playing keno in land-based casinos, the caller is the person announcing the draw of numbers.
- Closed – It is the time when the player cannot make any more bets. The betting closes when the keno balls are about to be drawn.
- Flashboard – A board that displays the winning keno numbers.
- Goose – A slang used for a machine that draws keno balls in a land-based casino.
- House Edge – The percentage of bet which mandatorily goes in the casino’s favour. Keno carries a high house edge around 30%.
- Random Number Generator – A system randomly draws the winning numbers in keno.
- Way Ticket – A keno ticket with two or more bets is called the way ticket.
- Writer – The casino employee who conducts the keno game in a brick-and-mortar casino.
- Field – A field or the playing field is the collection of spots or numbers selected in the keno round.
- Balls – Some online keno versions use balls to draw numbers rather than mere numbers.
- Bet – The amount a player bets on the keno round on a single ticket.
- Draw – The 20 balls drawn in a single keno round is called the draw for that game.